Federal tax debt
Before the IRS garnishes your wages, you can usually expect:
- Series of notices ending with Final Notice of Intent to Levy;
- 30 days notice of intent to levy your wages (garnish) including the right to a hearing.
Federal debts other than taxes
Before wages can be garnished for a federal debt (other than taxes), you can expect 30 days written notice by mail and given the opportunity:
- To inspect and copy records related to the debt;
- Chance to enter into written repayment agreement;
- Opportunity for a hearing to challenge the debt.
Child support garnishment
Child support wage withholding orders are entered as part of the child support order. For arrearage, 30 days notice of intent to garnish wages must be given.
For more information about garnishment: