Sometimes, you need to stop autodrafts. That may be because a company is drafting your account without permission. Or maybe you are barely keeping afloat and need to cancel nonessential payments. Some companies are difficult to deal with. But you have a right to stop automatic debit payments under federal law.

Here are the steps:

  1. Call and write the company revoking permission.
  2. Call and write your bank telling them you have revoked permission.
  3. If you can’t reach the company, you can give your bank a “stop payment order.” There are time deadlines for stopping a payment, so do this as quickly as possible if you can’t reach the company. Be sure to attach a copy of your letter to the company revoking authorization. Most banks charge for a stop payment order.
  4. If you have any problems after doing this, file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.